I read an artical in Linux Journal about being able to do development “in the cloud” was an intersting artical, it was very ipad centric, so I set out tonight to see if the same could be done on an Android Tablet. Well the anser I found is yes it can easly be done. And I am not talking about just doing code for the device (and simulare OS devices) but even just standard C/C++ and Java. Well I was able to match basicly what he did and that is to have a command line connection to a Linux box and use an editor (he used vim, I tested with Emacs, more complex key combonations in my test) and foudn with an app called Termial IDE, it leaves you at the bash shell in Android, but a quick ssh to my home box gave me full blown Linux (much as he did in his artical) I was able to load up screen (for the occationnal disconnects that could happen over a mobil network) and fire up Emacs. From there I editied a file Ctrl-X and Ctrl-C’ed it (I did not want to save the changes but if those Ctrl keys work then the Ctrl-S should work). Well I was able to get done what I wanted. Next I though that it would be nice to have a more local dev system on the tablet to see if that could be done. Found an app called Anjedi, this is more specific to Android Java deveolpment, but I was able to get from my SVN server (it also supports GIT for those of you that use GIT) and edit some XSLT and other files, so I can see this also as a good option, I am sure there are some other tools out there that can be used but my goal was to see if I could repeat what this guy in the Linux Journal Artical did with the ipad on an Android Tablet, and the anser is yes. Now would I like to work like that very often I don’t think so, but for the quick grab my tablet and bluetooth keyboard it can work.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GCS/O d+ s:+> a C+++$>++++ UBL++S>$ P--- L+++>++++ E>+++
W++ N+ !o !K w--- O- M-- V-- !PS !PE Y+>++ PGP t+ !5 !X R
tv- b+>++ DI D G+ e++>+++ h !r z-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
- Weight loss continues by Michael O'Connor
Today, when I did my morning weight in my scale read 143 pounds, so to date I have lost 157 pounds. And now I have only 18 more pounds to go.
- My Backup internet. by Michael O'Connor
In the past I have used a 4G T-Mobile hotspot, that was costing me about 50 a month for 10GB of data. But for that same 50 I could get T-Mobiles home internet. So I cancled the hotspot line and added the Home Internet for my backup internet. First they say there is no data[…]
- Just setup a local Plex server by Michael O'Connor
So in my journy of cutting the cable. I just setup a Plex server for my local network. I have a lot of mp3 still that I ripped from my CD years ago. Now I wonder if I can rip my DVD to the Plex server, not to replace them but to have them accessable[…]
- Cancled my Cable TV (again) by Michael O'Connor
For about 3 years I have had Cable TV (FiOS) but I been considering getting rid of it to save some money. About a week ago Verizon sent out a notice that they were raising the rates. So that put me over the line of considering it to pulling the trigger. For TV here what[…]
- Hit a big milestone on my weight lo… by Michael O'Connor
Yesterday was a major milestone in my weight loss journy. As of yesterday I weigh half the weight I was when I started my weight loss journy. I have lost 150 pounds, and now weight 150 pounds. I still have only 25 more pounds to go till I reach my goal and then the journy[…]
- Images of my weight loss journey by Michael O'Connor
- The weight loss journy continues by Michael O'Connor
Today I hit an important mile stone on my weight lost journy. Today I hit 154 pounds, why is this number an important one, it is because given my hight of 5 foot 6, that puts me at a BMI of 24.9, or stated otherwise I am no longer medicly over weight now, I hit[…]
- Tired of the incompantancy of bge by Michael O'Connor
Well last night we had the monthy power failer from bge, I am so tired of the constant power failures. Yet another device of mine has been damaged beause of it. I call and complain constantly about the constant power failures yet they don’t seem to care one bit. I hate that I live in[…]
- Last week work sent me to training … by Michael O'Connor
First about a month ago where I work sent me to training for React, at that time after class I wrote up a a web site for my streaming stuff. While I did get it up, I was not fully happy with it, I don’t like the language of React it felt clunky and I[…]
- Weight lost journy continues by Michael O'Connor
Well as of today, I weighed in at 175 pounds, so as of today I have lost 125 pounds in this indever. I still have 21 pounds till I reach my goal. I will also say medicly once I loss another 25 pounds I will TECHNICLY no longer be over weight (according to the NIH[…]
- Michael O'Connor on Glad I have my T-Mobile hotspot set…Hi Grace good to hear from you and thanks for the heads up for MC. Welcome to my blog.
- Grace on Glad I have my T-Mobile hotspot set…Hadn't heard from you in a while, thinking of you!
- Richard on With MD talking about banning the s…This is really cool, Mike!
- Michael O'Connor on A screen shot of my towers dual mon…There is nothing wrong with slackware, it is still being updated (I am on slack 14 here) I will have…
- mike shomsky on A screen shot of my towers dual mon…Michael, I'm surprised you're still using slackware :^), since Pitt I've become a Debian fan Do drop me a line…
- Michael O'Connor on Handicapped spotsMany take the plakard not because they are cheating the system as you suggest but because in many states the…
- Truely on Handicapped spotsHandicapped parking viaiotlons are never acceptable but I'm more intrigued that a public building for 600 employees could be constructed…
- Michael on Issues Etc Android App Beta 2What device do you have? If it is the Amazon Fire, or the Barns and Nobles nook, I will not…
- Michael Miller on Issues Etc Android App Beta 2I'd love to use the app on my Android tablet, but while my version of Android will run the app,…
- Iain on Facebook, No Internet Connection on…I had this exact same problem, but following these steps still didn't fix it. Also, I noticed that Friendcaster won't…